This article describes how to update a WordPress site manually.
There are also other ways to update WordPress:
- You can update WordPress using Softaculous.
- You can update WordPress using the command line.
You should update a WordPress installation frequently to ensure it is running the latest version. There are several reasons for this:
- Security: WordPress updates contain fixes that patch security vulnerabilities. One of the most important things you can do to maintain a more secure WordPress site is apply updates regularly.
- Stability: WordPress updates contain fixes that patch bugs and other issues. Your site is more stable when you apply the latest updates.
- New features: WordPress is continually improving, and by running the latest version, you have access to the latest features and functionality.
To update WordPress, follow these steps:
- Log in to WordPress as the administrator.
- When updates are available, the dashboard indicates the number of updates in a red circle. For example, the following WordPress installation has two updates available:
- Click Updates. WordPress displays any updates available for the WordPress core installation, plugins, and themes:
- To update WordPress, click Upgrade Automatically.
- To update plugins, select the plugin or plugins that you want to update, and then click Update Plugins.
- To update themes, select the theme or themes that you want to update, and then click Update Themes.
Note: The previous procedure describes how to update WordPress manually. However, you can configure WordPress sites for automatic updates by combining cron jobs and the WP-CLI program.